Mold vs Mildew
The thought of finding mold in your home or business can be scary, especially when you’re unsure how to remediate it. Mildew and molds are fungi - simple microscopic organisms that thrive anywhere there is a moist environment. That makes it difficult to get rid of on your own.
Molds are a necessary part of the environment; without them, leaves would not decay and aspects of soil enrichment could not take place. It is their ability to destroy organic materials, however, that makes mold a problem for people - in our homes and in our bodies.
Mildew (mold in early stage) and molds grow on wood products, ceiling tiles, cardboard, wallpaper, carpets, drywall, fabric, plants, foods, insulation, decaying leaves and other organic materials. Mold growths, or colonies, can start to grow on a damp surface within 24 to 48 hours. They reproduce by spores - tiny, lightweight “seeds”- that travel through the air.
Molds digest organic material, eventually destroying the material they grow on, and then spread to destroy adjacent organic material. In addition to the damage molds can cause in your home, they can also cause mild to severe health problems if left untreated. If you or someone you know has discovered growth in their home or business, give us a call at 727-847-3000 and let SERVPRO of West Pasco help make your home “Like it never even happened.”