IF A DISASTER STRIKES, WILL YOU BE READY?
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” – Benjamin Franklin
Centuries later, these wise words from one of our nation’s founder are still salient – especially today. This week we reach the climatological peak of hurricane season, with Hurricane Florence bearing down on the east coast and several more storms brewing in the Atlantic.
With that in mind, preparation is key. Consider the following steps to help you better prepare for an emergency situation.
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings, download apps and/or check access for wireless emergency alerts. (Try this one from the National Weather Service, or turn to your local news outlets.) https://www.weather.gov/subscribe/
- Develop and test emergency communication plans with family and work places.
- Assemble or update emergency supplies. See this list from the National Hurricane Survival Initiative. http://hurricanesafety.org/prepare/hurricane-safety-checklists/
- Learn about local hazards and conduct a drill to practice emergency response actions.
- Participate in a preparedness discussion, training or class.
- Collect and safeguard critical documents.
- Plan with neighbors to help each other and share resources.
- Document property and obtain appropriate insurance for relevant hazards.
- Make property improvements to reduce potential injury and property damage.
Emergencies can happen anytime to anyone. Act now to protect yourself, your family and your property. Over here, preparation is our middle name - SERVPRO of West Pasco stands ready to assist you 24/7. Contact us today at (727) 847-3000.